Wakefield Community Anchor Network (CAN) has launched a CAN Bursary. Up to £500 can be awarded per organisation to support the continued growth and development of Community Anchor organisations in Wakefield District.
From the legacy of the Community Anchor development funding, we can offer bursaries to community anchor organisations to support their business growth and development within the context of the district's priorities and the Third Sector Strategy.
The CAN Bursary can be up to £500 per Community Anchor; however more can be awarded at the discretion of Nova and the Community Anchor Network steering group.
Purpose of the CAN Bursary
The CAN Bursary is to extend the knowledge and skills of Community Anchor members and to share learning. The Community Anchors have demonstrated their potential in a variety of different areas however there is still the challenge to do things differently to meet local people's needs.
To be eligible for a CAN Bursary you need to:
- Meet Nova's definition of a community business and be a community anchor
- Be an active member of the Community Anchor Network and regularly attend events
- Be a member of Nova, membership is free
- Have the support of your governing body
- Demonstrate that the activity can't be funded elsewhere
- Be prepared to share your learning and expertise as a result of receiving the bursary in the appropriate method e.g. writing a blog for Nova, running a workshop, contributing to an event
Nova's definition of a community anchor is:
- Community run and led
- Rooted in a sense of place
- Multiple functions
- Mission to improve the whole community not just a part
- Dynamic and evolving