Specialist service for male survivors of sexual violence – Ben's Place – will be showcasing five films exploring the recovery perspectives of male survivors in a series of interactive workshops.
The series of events will use a set of films from the US to explore emerging insight into Post Traumatic Growth (PTG):
1. Stories of Silence: Recovering from Boyhood Sexual Abuse
2. Boys and Men Healing from childhood sexual abuse
3. Boyhood Shadows: "I swore I'd never tell"
4. 'Pursuit of Truth': Adult Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse Seeking Justice
5. Male Survivor Stories – The Bristlecone Project
The film showings will be an opportunity for an open discussion around empowering PTG opportunities for West Yorkshire male survivors:
- What are the barriers?
- What are the opportunities?
- How do we create real change?
Survivors West Yorkshire has, for 20 years, proactively lobbied to improve services. It believes that when society listens to the stories of recovery and growth that survivors experience when they are able to access good practice specialist services, it will want to support the amazing courage males show by breaking their silence to recover from the sexual crimes - done to them - as children or adults.
The free counselling service, Ben's Place, is available to males (aged 16 years plus) throughout the whole of West Yorkshire.
The events are free and open to anyone looking to understand more about male survivors and the work of Survivors West Yorkshire's Ben's Place project. The events are taking place on:
- 19 March 2019
- 30 April 2019
- 21 May 2019
- 18 June 2019
- 16 July 2019
Tickets are available to book on Eventbrite.