The Warwick Ahead Board has chosen Nova to be their Local Trusted Organisation (LTO).
Warwick Ahead is based on the Warwick estate in Knottingley and is one of 150 ‘Big Local’ areas across England. Big Local is an exciting opportunity for residents to use at least £1m each to make a massive and lasting positive difference to their communities. Big Local brings together all the local talent, ambitions, skills and energy from individuals, groups and organisations who want to make their area an even better place to live.
The aim of Big Local is to ensure that people are connected, people have choice, and people are supported to achieve lasting change in the place where they live. Underpinning this is a commitment to support residents over the long term to learn skills and gain the confidence to make decisions in their communities to bring about transformational change. This change should be resident and community led so enabling change through ownership.
The outcomes for Big Local are:
- Communities will be better able to identify local needs and take action in response to them
- People will have increased skills and confidence, so that they continue to identify and respond to needs in the future
- The community will make a difference to the needs it prioritises
- People will feel that their area is an even better place to live
Warwick Ahead Board has chosen Nova to be their Local Trusted Organisation (LTO), Nova will work alongside the Board to administer and account for the distribution of Warwick Ahead’s Big Local funding.
Warwick Ahead Partnership have just agreed a new 3 year plan (pdf) focusing on the following priorities:
- Developing better community facilities that are available to the community more often
- Developing a community run social enterprise called Warwick Womblies that will take on a range of environmental tasks
- Supporting the development of a small green park space situated on Warwick Estate
- Planning and delivering 5 community events throughout the year to raise awareness of the Big Local Programme and enable residents to have fun together
- Providing a range of small grants for good ideas to support the community vision
- Supporting more education and training opportunities to improve community skills and confidence
- Continuing funding an Enabling Youth Through Motor Cross Project which ran as a pilot last year that was so successful
- Developing a wide choice of health & well-being activities for local people to try to encourage a healthier happier community
- Improving communications and publicity through the website and newsletter
- Recruiting a team of support workers to engage with the community and develop the priorities in the plan including offering apprenticeship opportunities
The Warwick Ahead Partnership also want to work with more statutory, private, voluntary and community sector partners to help them meet their plan priorities and to attract more interest and prosperity to their Big Local Area.